Tuesday, December 1, 2009

A Scottish Thanksgiving


It has been so refreshing to experience easily the second biggest holiday in America, in another country. Thanksgiving was last Thursday, the 26th of November, and it came with a few firsts... First Thanksgiving out of the country, first one without my family, first one i had to go to school on, and the first one i cooked for all by myself. One of the other 2nd years Amy, was SO awesome and halved cooking the Thanksgiving dinner with me. We invited all of second year IED, and i celebrated my first Thanksgiving Americanless. It was so great. The food was good, the company was good, and it made me brush up on my historical facts for the origin of Thanksgiving. I love how unique this Thanksgiving was, and it meant so much for all the guys to be so interested in it, and help celebrate it with me, even if it was just another reason they could use to drink :)

The difference in culture was most apparent in the grocery store. I was at Tesco the day before and was getting around just fine, there weren't crowds or lines anywhere. Of all the ingredients for a typical Thanksgiving meal that are available in the UK, none were out of stock. In the states on the day before, you would probably not be able to find a parking spot or think about getting out of the store in less than an hour, even if the only things on your list was a can of corn. It was funny and quite humbling to see life going on just like normal every else around the world. Not everyone cares about the same things America does and puts importance in different areas. I just appreciate the new perspective. Not to say i won't be celebrating Thanksgiving every year for the rest of my life, but the commercialization and money making side was no where to be seen at my Dundonian Thanksginving, an aspect that will most definitely be present in the States, forever, no matter how much we don't want to admit it.

Heres a picture of some of the guys filling there plates with their first Thanksgiving meal...

No comments:

Post a Comment