Friday, December 4, 2009

3/3- Healthcare Design

There has been a common theme in my time studying here in Scotland; it is the reoccurrence of me finding out how little I really know, about everything. I have been curious and interested about healthcare design but never really knew anything about it. I have really enjoyed getting to dig into this topic. Even though this is technically an assignment, the subject is so interesting to me I have thoroughly enjoyed getting to explore the information that is available. I love the idea that Trant talks about in her article. She discusses how we must design for the potential range of responses we can receive from a people in a space instead of trying to create a space that forces you to feel a certain way. The ideas presented in both of these sources through research, point again and again to the direct affect of the environment on a patient’s quality of healing. The journal article, which is a bit more general, simply sheds light onto the exciting area that has much room to grow. Some of the research done so far is seen in the writing my Dr. Ulrich, who states multiple times how there is a lack of research already out there. After personally just beginning to skim the surface of this subject, I big theme in this area is potential. The idea that it is not all figured out already is great! Why are there not more of us, architects, designers, psychologists, anybody with the ability to observe really, digging into this area? I have really enjoyed getting to learn about art, and principles and elements of design and techniques in drawing in my university experience so far, but getting to learn about how I can use those skills to help people is where I find myself content. I really love it when someone finds out my major and then the next thing out of their mouth is “I have this new couch and I don’t know what color fabric to make the throw pillow out of?” Once I got into the program back home, and people asked me what I will do with my interior design degree, I would tell I know I’m not going to just make a bunch of rich ladies happy by redoing their kitchen and living room once a year. I feel like healthcare design is a great avenue to go down and invest in towards a rewarding career, that has so much more value than paint color and fabric swatches.

Bibliography
Dilani, A., 2001. Design and Health-The Therapeutic Benefits of Design. svenskbyggtjanst.
Hilton, B. A. (1985). Research in Nursing and Health, 8 283-291.
Rubin, H. R., Owens A. J., and G. Golden (1998). Status Report: An investigation to Determine Whether the Built Environment Affects patients Medical Outcomes. Martinez, CA: The Center for Health and Design.
Trant, K. 2003. Just What the Doctor Ordered. The Architects' Journal: The Home of British Architecture. 1 December 2009. http://www.architectsjournal.co.uk/home/just-what-the-doctor ordered/146970.article.
Ulrich, R. S. (1991) Effects on health facility interior design on wellness: theory and scientific research. Journal of healthcare design, 3 97-109.

No comments:

Post a Comment